Absolute Beginner Courses
Nervous about picking up choreography in a drop-in dance class? Our Absolute Beginner Courses are perfect for first-time dancers with no experience! These courses are designed to give you foundational knowledge and confidence before jumping into drop-in choreography classes. You’ll be joined by other absolute beginners – a great way to learn the fundamentals together in a safe and judgement-free environment while making new friends!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Learn foundational dance steps in each style
- Develop an understanding of rhythm and timing
- Improve coordination skills
- Learn methods to help you pick up choreography for drop-in classes
- Build confidence in yourself, while learning in a fun, supportive, and relaxed environment
- Receive friendly advice and feedback throughout the course
Intro Courses run for 4 consecutive weeks and are for adults only (ages 16+).
UPCOMING COURSES :
SUNDAYS STARTING JAN 12 TO FEB 2
Fee: $70+tax per 4-week course.
INTRO TO CONTEMPORARY AND JAZZ | 12 – 1 PM with Sidney
Each class will start with a warm-up concentrating on developing strength and flexibility, basic Jazz/Contemporary movements, and basic technique such as plies, tendús, and releves. Each week you will work on movements across the floor that will progress into a centre combination. At the end of the course, you will have a basic knowledge of Contemporary/Jazz dance terms as well as how to execute them correctly for choreography drop-in classes.
INTRO TO STREET STYLES | 1 – 2 PM with Kelsy
Improve your coordination, build confidence (and swag) and get a great workout with our Intro to Street Styles course! This course is designed for those with very little or absolutely no experience in street styles (i.e. hip hop, jazz funk, and K-Pop). The class begins with a warm up, progresses on to skills development, then concludes with choreography skills. This course will keep you moving and grooving to build your confidence in choreography classes.
INTRO TO HEELS | 2 – 3 PM with Ariel
If you’ve always wanted to learn to dance in heels, perfect the art of hair whipping and booty popping, this is the course for you! Students will work on feeling comfortable walking in heels, basic technique, across the floor exercises, and exuding confidence while performing choreography. This course will enhance your ability to perform heels choreography with ease and confidence.
REGISTER ONLINE NOW
- NO refunds will be given after the course begins.
- You can join a course in the second week if you miss the first week, however, registration closes after week 2. We will begin the next course the following month.
- Sorry, courses are not pro-rated if you join after the first week.
- There are no credits or refunds for missed classes.
- If House of Eights cancels a class for any reason (weather, instructor illness, etc) a make-up class will be offered.
- House of Eights may cancel a course before it begins due to low registration. You will be notified the day prior to the course beginning if a session is cancelled, and will receive a refund.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY AND JUMP IN TO DROP-IN CLASSES
If you loved our Absolute Beginner courses, why not keep going? Now that you’re comfortable with the basics, challenge yourself in our drop-in classes where you can work on different choreography each class! Check out our drop-in schedule here.